I actually responded you at 24th August via Codeplex mail (Private message). I responded with a couple of questions to clarify, before I wanted to send out the public / official post with the answers.
Anyway, this is what I sent you:
1) I forwarded question 1 to our internal list. These HOL are used in Labs were an appropiate image is available. Every scenario should be able to be done with an Image running VS2010, beside the one with the TFS integration like Branching.
2) Good idea, I will track that to include it in a next update to the guidance. What scenarios would you prefer to see, Windows applications / web applications ? How do you deploy your web application in the current process ?
3) Got your point here. Is there any priorization you would like to have in the scenarios ?
4) The target for the "normal" build of a database project are the artifacts you see here. If you want to have a MSI packages, you would need to target the .sln / project file containing the WiX package. In this secenario we are targetting the
dbproj solution only. Good feedback though to also include that as well.
5) I think that comes along with 4)
6) We might have to rephrase that. This is only bound to the MSI deployment along with the VSDBCMD. If you install the MSI package on Server A while deploying to Database B (in this case without any Web Server deployment) you will have the reference / entry
of the MSI on Server A, although this is totally unrelated to the database Server B. This might bring back orphaned MSI installtions if database are moved around. In addition if e.g. doing backups it is hard to figure out the available backup location on the
remote server as backups are always done on the database server and also placed there (unless you use a UNC path).That is why we instructed you to not use the remote installation. Maybe we have to refine that along with the web server deployment.
I got really good feedback and wishes for an upcoming version of the document. As we most possible cannot put in every scenario that is on the list due to time constraints, I try to get a priority list with the topics in order to pick up the most common
scenarios people are interested in.
Appreciate you feedback, let´s stay in contact...