This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Database projects, Setup and Deployment and WiX

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I have a database in SQL Server Express 2008.

I use the database in my WPF application.

I have an installer project wherein I add the libraries and application projects to my installer project.

I now have a database project which has post deployment scripts to populate the created database.

Must I use WiX to connect a database project with a installer project or is there a more light weight option available?

Developer
Jan 14, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Hi,

you can take a look at the WIX project in our HOL. Actually this simply executes VSDBCMD.EXE as an installation step. Having this, you can either use a post deployment script referenced in the manifest file or execute a .sql file as part of the installation from a command prompt using sqlcmd.exe on your own. This is up to you. Using VSDBCMD, exeucting stuff in the post deployment script just make it easier to bundle it and execute it for the customer / support person.

! Make sure you have your post deployment / filling scripts idempotent in case the installation needs to be rerun

-Jens

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

You can also use the WIX Extension for easier integration for deployment. http://wixdeployment.codeplex.com/