Making the transition to Database Projects

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

At the moment we are on the Advanced Branching Plan in source control. Previously we were on SVN and it was upgraded to TFS without reviewing how to do Database changes.

Right now any database changes that happen in a Release branch or a Development branch are simply scripts added to a folder with a incrementing number to it. This is happening in each development line and so vNext and vCurrent database changes are quite out of sync. There are 4 development lines, one release line. I would have approached the problem differently but anyways I need to solve the problem and need a bit of guidance! 

Would it be a good approach to have a development branch off of MAIN to add the project do any database changes to support "Barclay Hill Managing data motion during deployments" then merge back into MAIN then make a new release branch? Once it gets into MAIN, any development lines will be responsible to update the Database Project.

It's a bit of a mess.

Thank you.

Developer
Feb 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I hear from your description that you are not using Visual Studio Database projects, right ? If you use VSDB for your development you don´t have to care about moving the schema from one version to another as VSDBCMD will do that for you during the deployment. You will just have to provide the dbschema file how the database should like after the deployment. VSDBCMD command / the deployment engine will calculate the changes and create the motion scripts for getting version n + version n+1. Therefore there would be no more need to maintain scripts with an increasing number.

-Jens

====================

Visual Studio ALM Core Ranger

====================